Monday, January 3, 2011

The Fastest Fast

“… thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness…” Deuteronomy 32:15 (Taken completely out of context) Am I the only one who can amuse myself while reading the Bible?

The following is the documentation of my failed attempt at fasting… or maybe it was my brief yet successful attempt, I’m not sure yet.

January 1, 2011 ~ I sit here writing about my first day of fasting, sipping an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts. So I didn’t quite make it, but I haven’t eaten so that counts right? I’m fasting NOT for health or weight loss. Fasting does pretty much the opposite of that. I’m fasting for spiritual health and as a practice of self control. Spiritual fasting is the denial of fleshly pleasures so you can become more in tuned with the spiritual ones. So far I just feel hungry, and a bit guilty (but the coffee is soooooooooo good) I have a long way to go.

January 3, 2011 ~ Fasting lasted all of 3 days, but I swear I have good reason for ending my fast. It actually wasn’t that hard. I ate when the sun was down so I wasn’t depriving my body, I was hungry during the day but I kept busy and it was OK. We went to Wendy’s and I stayed strong even with everyone telling me my fast was silly. I prayed “Dear Lord please give me the strength to get through this, please be my portion.” And then it hit me. That was the point. God is my portion; Psalm 73:26.

I saw a billboard the other day that said “Do you have to loose everything before you find HIM?” Well I guess I did. I lost my fiancé, my home, my family, my business, my pets, my childhood home, all in one year. Now I’m loosing my car and with it my job. This has been a hard trying year but I’m coming out of it stronger and better than I’ve ever been. There are still moments of sadness and uncertainty but I have the comfort of knowing, as cliché as it may sound, that God has a plan (Jeremiah 29:11-14) and I don't have to go it alone (1 Peter 5:7)

I’m going to be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment