Friday, January 21, 2011

A Grateful Heart



Earlier today I saw this on a friends face book page “Am I the only person who sometimes feels like I should thank God even when I am feeling really miserable (when it is the hardest?)? I just would like your opinions if you feel like answering.”

I love this! I have believed this all my life. I think it puts things into perspective, reminds us better days are ahead, and it's hard to be depressed/anxious/upset/etc when you have a grateful heart.

One strategy for people who are depressed or unmotivated is to make a gratitude journal. This is a book where you put all of the things you’re grateful for, and look at it every day. It reminds you of all the things that are good even when it’s hard to think of them because so much is going wrong. I highly suggest doing this! “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Philippians 4:8

You can take this one step further and add your goals, or make another book entirely as a goal book. I have a journal I bought with a Thomas Kinkade picture on the front of a cottage surrounded by flowers and a lake, I bought it because every time I look at it, it reminds me of the type of home I will some day own.

I filled my journal with goals, magazine clippings, pictures, anything reminding me of all of the things I will accomplish and when I will accomplish them. Writing this blog I am reminded that it is time to update my goal book.

Inside the cover of my book it is signed by Jack Canfield. Jack Canfield is the creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul book series. He is a motivational speaker and contributed to the book “The Secret.” I had the pleasure and honor of hearing him speak and to meet him, at one of my company meetings. If you get the chance to attend one of his seminars or to read one of his books I highly recommend them.

“The Secret” talks about The Law of Attraction which is basically acting as if you already have what it is you need. Kind of like Ben Affleck in The Boiler Room. “There's an important phrase that we use here, and I think it's time that you all learned it. Act as if. You understand what that means?” I can’t post the rest of the quote in a Christian blog but you get the drift. Act as if you are already successful, act as if you are already happy, act as if you have everything you need/want. "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15

Just this simple idea can change your life. It will change how you think, how you act, how you live. It will change your outlook, attract the people and situations into your life that you want and need. Believe you can, because whether you believe you can or you believe you can’t your probably right. (Henry Ford said that first I believe.)

Times won’t always be easy. "Yes, the Lord hears the good man when he calls to Him for help, and saves him out of all his troubles. The Lord is close to those whose heart is breaking; He rescues those who are humbly sorry for their sins. The good man does not escape all troubles - he has them, too. But the Lord helps him in each and every one." ~ Psalms 34:17-19

There’s no need to worry, everything works out in the end. "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 "Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with My victorious right hand." ~ Psalms 112:6-8 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

2010 was a tough year for a lot of us, but 2011 is going to be our year to shine!

"I waited patiently for God to help me; then He listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things He did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in Him." ~ Psalms 34:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment